Monday, August 11, 2008

Vassal: Song of Blades and Heroes

The Song of Blades and Heroes caught my attention when it got nominated at Origins for Best Miniature Game.

The rule set fits my needs for being elegant and concise while still giving a variety of tactics. There is a core set of simple rules which are modified by specials to give individual units more characters. The rules are also nicely illustrated and edited. All this for $4.00 ;)

As I noted earlier, the Cry Havoc module is nicely written for simple d6 based man to man combat. You just need to download the main module, a few maps and the Dragon Noir setting to have some fantasy troops for your online fantasy skirmish map.

To playtest my idea, I setup the Cry Havoc module using a Song of Blades and Heroes. To give some element of randomness when solo gaming, I quickly added the reaction charts from Mayhem Warrior Heroes. It actually worked out pretty good but required some quick decisions.

I'll do a separate post with my notes for combining the two.

The SBH system works pretty good.

No comments: