Monday, August 18, 2008

Powder: quick impressions.

Over the weekend, I came across a little rogue game called Powder for the NDS.

I've seen numerous references to rogue type games over the years but never got pulled into one. The idea seemed kinda of mind numbing at first. I played Diablo for awhile and thought it was okay.

Anyway, I needed something different and quick to play while I avoid thinking about work, so I downloaded the rom and took it for spin.

Powder is a very fun addictive little game. I'm not sure quite what it is but if you like dungeon crawls, this is the game for you. Once you get past the controls, creating and adventurer and going slaying is a breeze.

The game is tough. I think 7 out of 10 adventurers never made it past the first level. Its very luck-based in your starting magic and skills. If you happen to get the right combination of skills, starting weapons and spells, you got a good shot of getting past level 3 of 25.

The funny part is the interesting stories of how your adventurers died. One lucky gal, Monika, made it to level 5 because I somehow polymorphed her into a Flesh Golem. As a flesh golem, she had no trouble pounding critters to death but when the spell finally wore off, she was toast.

The funniest adventurer was Thorin. Thorin survived because he found an evil ring of teleporting. On many near death battles, he would run away and magically teleport to safety where he could rest. Down on Level 5, he was walking around when suddenly the teleport kicked in.

He found himself trapped in the corner by a two red dragons. He shortly found himself dead.

So if you looking for a quick gaming experience, I highly recommend powder or other games in the rogue genre.

No comments: